What are the 5 major risk factors for cancer?
Cancer risk factor facts*
The most common risk factors for cancer include aging, tobacco, sun exposure, radiation exposure, chemicals, and other substances, some viruses and bacteria, certain hormones, family history of cancer, alcohol, poor diet, lack of physical activity, or being overweight.
What are the causes and risk factors of cancer?
According to the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute, the most common causes and risk factors of cancer are:
- Smoking and tobacco use.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Poor diet.
- Sun exposure.
- Radiation exposure.
- Virus infections and other infections.
What is one of the biggest risk factor for getting cancer?
For most people, increasing age is the biggest risk factor for developing cancer. In general, people over 65 have the greatest risk of developing cancer. People under 50 have a much lower risk.
What are the 7 warning signs of cancer?
Signs of Cancer
- Change in bowel or bladder habits.
- A sore that does not heal.
- Unusual bleeding or discharge.
- Thickening or lump in the breast or elsewhere.
- Indigestion or difficulty in swallowing.
- Obvious change in a wart or mole.
- Nagging cough or hoarseness.
What are the top 10 causes of cancer?
The germline mutations are carried through generations and increase the risk of cancer.
- Cancer syndromes.
- Bacteria and parasites.
What food can cause cancer?
Cancer causing foods
- Processed meat. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there is “convincing evidence” that processed meat causes cancer. …
- Red meat. …
- Alcohol. …
- Salted fish (Chinese style) …
- Sugary drinks or non-diet soda. …
- Fast food or processed foods. …
- Fruit and vegetables. …
What is the difference between causes and risk factors?
Epidemiologists often use the term “risk factor” to indicate a factor that is associated with a given outcome. However, a risk factor is not necessarily a cause. The term risk factor includes surrogates for underlying causes.
What are the ways to treat cancer?
Cancer treatment options include:
- Surgery. The goal of surgery is to remove the cancer or as much of the cancer as possible.
- Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy. …
- Bone marrow transplant. …
- Immunotherapy. …
- Hormone therapy. …
- Targeted drug therapy. …