How Does Cancer Develop?
What can cancer be described as?
Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. Cancer develops when the body’s normal control mechanism stops working. Old cells do not die and instead grow out of control, forming new, abnormal cells. These extra cells may form a mass of tissue, called a tumor.
How is cancer best defined?
Cancer: An abnormal growth of cells which tend to proliferate in an uncontrolled way and, in some cases, to metastasize (spread). Cancer is not one disease. It is a group of more than 100 different and distinctive diseases. Cancer can involve any tissue of the body and have many different forms in each body area.
What are the 7 warning signs of cancer?
Signs of Cancer
- Change in bowel or bladder habits.
- A sore that does not heal.
- Unusual bleeding or discharge.
- Thickening or lump in the breast or elsewhere.
- Indigestion or difficulty in swallowing.
- Obvious change in a wart or mole.
- Nagging cough or hoarseness.
What are the worst types of cancer?
Top 5 Deadliest Cancers
- Lung Cancer. U.S. deaths in 2014: 159,260.
- Colorectal Cancer. U.S. deaths in 2014: 50,310. How common is it? …
- Breast Cancer. U.S. deaths in 2014: 40,430. How common is it? …
- Pancreatic Cancer. U.S. deaths in 2014: 39,590. How common is it? …
- Prostate Cancer. U.S. deaths in 2014: 29,480. How common is it? …
What are the top 10 causes of cancer?
The germline mutations are carried through generations and increase the risk of cancer.
- Cancer syndromes.
- Bacteria and parasites.
Can someone have cancer for years without knowing?
If you’re wondering how long you can have cancer without knowing it, there’s no straight answer. Some cancers can be present for months or years before they’re detected. Some commonly undetected cancers are slow-growing conditions, which gives doctors a better chance at successful treatment.
Do all cancers show up in blood tests?
Blood tests are usually done in all cases of suspected cancer and may also be done routinely in healthy individuals. Not all cancers show up on blood tests. Blood tests can give information about the overall health status, such as thyroid, kidney, and liver functions.
Can you feel perfectly fine and have cancer?
7. Cancer is always a painful disease, so if you feel fine, you don’t have cancer. Many types of cancer cause little to no pain, especially in the early stages.
What are the 12 signs of cancer?
12 Signs of Cancer Women Can’t Ignore
- Bloating. Many women feel bloated from time to time, particularly due to hormonal changes during their menstrual cycle. …
- Unexplained bleeding. …
- Unexpected weight loss. …
- Skin irregularities. …
- Trouble swallowing. …
- Breast changes. …
- Mouth changes. …
- Chronic cough.